benefit of photodynamic therapy
Photodynamic therapy may offer benefits over other therapies. Its positives include:
- killing acne-causing bacteria on the skin
- affecting only targeted cells, helping to maintain skin integrity
- reducing the size and activity of sebaceous glands
- helping fade old acne scars
- not causing scarring
- treating other skin conditions that may co-occur alongside acne, such as age spots and rosacea
- can be used along with medication if needed, except isotretinoin (Accutane)
Another important benefit of photodynamic therapy is that it does not involve the use of antibiotics or oral retinoids, such as Accutane. This makes PDT a viable treatment for people who cannot take those medications.
PDT may be especially beneficial for people with severe acne or those whose acne has not responded well to other treatments.